Friday, March 26, 2010

Restored Faith

I feel like this post is going to be really cheesey... but it's honestly something I have been thinking about since Drew and I decided to start trying to concieve a baby.... and last night, as Drew was lying in bed with me, touching my belly he asked me, "So, do you like being pregnant?" I responded with "Yes, of course I do, and even more so now that I'm feeling a bit better and I'm not sick anymore... because that was really hard to feel so yucky." Then I moved on to describe to him what I'm about to describe to you all, in the best way that I can... I hope it makes sense.

This baby has really brought me some restored faith. Restored faith in what unconditional love is, and to WANT to create a life together because of that love. I can't even tell you how "cool" it is to me to have the baby that Drew and I created together growing inside of me. Drew and I have loved each other for such a long time. WAY longer than we have been together. The day I met him in October of 2000, I knew there was something about him that I just adored. And that "something" was not easy to shake... it stayed with me all through the last 10 years, and is still with me today. My husband is not perfect.... he gets on my nerves, and makes me angry (and I admittedly do the same to him, I'm sure). But above anything else, we love each other.... and we work hard to create a good life that we're both happy in.

Rewind 5 years ago... I found out I was prenant with Matthew, and I was no doubt, SO excited. I had always wanted to be a mother and at the time "thought" that Matthew's dad was the one I was supposed to create children with. Thought is the key word there. I really didn't believe it. We were not ready in our relationship to become parents. I was alone for alot of my pregnancy... I was not in the marriage I had hoped for, and it was disappointing. For so long, I felt that it was just Matthew and me... we were the team - which is partially why I adore him so much. The mother/son bond that we have helped me get through so much pain that I experienced. Those years where it was just him and me, created the unique bond that I will always have with him. He will always be my first "baby".

Fast forward 5 years, to now. Drew and I have a relationship that from the very beginning in those college dorm-days, has been built on friendship. What's better than to be married to a best friend? Don't get me wrong, we have the passion, and physical attraction... but first and foremost, we are friends... and now we are going to bring a life into this world that represents US. It's almost surreal to me! Whenever I feel a little kick or a flutter, I think to myself "This is OUR baby!" And it feels so right. And I believe in what it means to create a life out of unconditional love. It's another piece to my journey in finding restored faith... in what it is to have a good life.
So, for fun... here's us when were a mere 19 years old. Where this unconditional love started...


And the day we made the committment to keep that unconditional love going...


No comments:

Post a Comment