Monday, June 29, 2009

A 3 year olds fashion sense. In 95 degree heat.

Any of you that live in Wisconsin - or nearby - surely felt the heat last week. The temps were around 95, and it felt like 100 or so. Lucky for us, we do not have air conditioning in our house... just an old window A/C unit that only has enough power to cool down one room - our dining room. I actually had to take sleeping pills one night to get to sleep because I was one big giant ball of sweat. This brings me to Matthew and his idea of staying cool. As in "I'm awesome, Mom".
Wednesday and Thursday of last week, he wakes up, sees what his Daddy Drew is wearing to work (casual jeans and a polo shirt with dress shoes) and decides that that is what he must wear to "match". I looked at the thermostat in our house... it reads 82. I'm in tiny shorts and a tank top and I'm sweating at 8am. I mention to Matthew that Mommy would like him to stay cool because it's so hot out. Matthew does not like this answer and therefore proceeds to melt down, whine, cry, and pout because he is adament about wear HIS jeans, polo shirt and black dress shoes (and don't let me forget the white undershirt either). This goes on for an hour each morning.... with both of us getting upset. Finally, I give in (both times) after there's a dozen shirts and pants balled up on the floor. However, I tell him that he can wear his "Daddy Drew outfit" only in the house and that once we leave, he needs to wear his tank top and shorts. He reluctantly agrees, and proceeds to sweat through his 2 shirts, jeans and black dress shoes - yet telling me that he is "cold". Once Friday arrived, and the same scenario starts to unfold, I just let him do it his way, and tell myself "Pick your battles, Liz. The hour long outfit battle the last two days was enough for you." Drew finds it very endearing, and humorous. And the game of "Daddy Drew Idol" goes on...

No comments:

Post a Comment