Thursday, June 10, 2010

Registered? Check! Swollen feet? Check!

So my big sister has offered to throw me a baby shower. I hadn't expected anyone to throw me one since this is my second. However, my sister and my mom were both adament that I get a baby shower this time around. The believe that this situation (a new and REAL marriage, a completely different and responsible Daddy, a new and excited in-law family, etc.) - just a totally legitimate, totally different pregnancy experience than with my first. I get it. Hopefully those invited will too. This baby boy means so much to me, Drew and the rest of my family. His pending arrival has been this ray of sunshine, this glimer of hope to a family that has had a lot to deal with the last several years - most recently my brother's unexpected divorce. News of my pregnancy came within a few weeks of my brother's not-so-wonderful news... it has been the something positive for us to focus on. So this baby shower means a lot to me... and to my family. It means so much more than giving gifts. We tend to think that all new beginnings deserve all sorts of celebrations. Drew is so excited to be expecting his first (biological) child, and I want the experience of all of it to be just as it would be if it were my first baby. and Matthew has certainly been loving the ride too... As Drew and I registered the other day at Babies R Us, we pushed Matthew along with us in the cart and asked his opinion on what he thinks his little brother might like. He was very helpful. Drew seemed to enjoy the process as well. The only thing he was pretty adament about was the diaper bag. He didn't like the ones I had picked out on Gap.com (saying they were ugly and too girly for a man to carry around), so he picked out this fun orange and grey hobo diaper bag. It's really cool actually! So, registering is done... next project? Turning the already "baby painted" computer room into baby Will's room at the end of the month.
I've also had to say hello to some pretty swollen feet and ankles. This (cooler) week, they haven't been as bad as they were last week when we had all that hot and humid weather here. This weekend is supposed to be hot though. Retaining water is what happens to this Mama come the 3rd trimester (which I am 2 short weeks away from! woot!). People keep asking me if the hot weather has bothered me yet and throwing me mini pity parties telling me how sorry they feel for me being pregnant in the summer... Really? Don't you know how badly I've wanted this prenancy? I may complain, but I'll be fine. I'll have the most amazing prize at the end. And if I do have to complain, I'll just complain to my mom - she gets it - she had my brother in mid-August of '77, which apparently was one of the hottest on record in Milwaukee. Besides, Matthew likes to squirt me with the hose to cool me off! My neighbor across the street (who is due in early December) just got a pool, and will gladly let me sit and cool off when I need to...
I say all this now... lets see what my blog posts look like come July and August...

2 comments:

  1. I am happy that you are getting showered with love & presents for your family and baby Will! I think it's a great idea, and will mean a lot and leave memories for you & Drew to always cherish.

    Sorry to hear about your feet and ankles (or as I referred to my feet toward the end of my pregnancy when Morgan was born in Sept - "cankles". :)) You have every right to complain and whine, just end it with "but I'm thankful", hehee.

    Much love! Thanks for the updates...glad to hear you're doing well,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get on a bicycle and ride it all summer, look at how well it served Ella! LOL

    ReplyDelete